recipes: dutch oven desserts

Author: Deborah Harroun

Posted by | July 28, 2010 | Deborah, Recipes | 6 Comments

Summer time to me means camping – spending time in the great outdoors.  And here in Utah, there are so many amazing places to go and beautiful sites to see.  But ever since I was a kid, one thing I always got excited about when we camped was the food.  Camping food was always so exciting to me.  (Plus, as a kid, that was the only time we really got to eat junk food!!)

I spent some time this past holiday weekend camping in the mountains with my family.  When we did food assignments, I was excited to be given dessert to make, and I knew the dutch oven was going to get used!!  Both of these desserts were a hit and we almost polished them both off!  These would even be fun to do in the backyard – camping or not!

Dutch Oven Black Forest Cake

1 chocolate cake mix, plus the ingredients called for on the back of the box (oil, water, eggs)
1 can cherry pie filling
1 stick of butter

Mix the cake mix according to the package directions.

Set the dutch oven on top of 12-14 charcoal briquettes.  Melt the butter in the dutch oven.  Pour the cake mix on top of the melted butter, then pour the pie filling in the center of the cake mix.  Do not mix.

Cover the dutch oven and place 12-14 charcoal briquettes on top.  Cook for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through.  Serve with whipped topping, if desired.

Dutch Oven Cobbler

2 cake mixes
2 cans pie filling
2 tablespoons butter
12 oz. lemon lime soda

Set the dutch oven on top of 12-14 charcoal briquettes.  Melt the butter in the dutch oven.  Pour in both cans of pie filling.  Sprinkle the cake mixes on top and gently swirl the cake mixes and pie filling together.  Pour the soda over the top – do not mix.

Cover the dutch oven and place 12-14 charcoal briquettes on top.  Cook for about 1 hour.

6 Comments

• Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says:

What an interesting post! I never knew you could bake a dessert in a dutch oven, and I think this has inspired me to try! Great job, Deborah. This cake looks to-die-for!

• Callie says:

What size of dutch oven did you do these recipes in? And maybe it’s a silly question, but why just pour the cherries in the center of the cake?

• Know how says:

That as fascinating =)

• mcrachie says:

Callie,
    It would probably still taste good if you you mixed the cherries in, but it wouldn’t really get to a cakey consistency. Mixing them would make your end result more of a gooey brownie-pudding. By just pouring them you have cake around the edges and cherry topping in the center.

• Kim H says:

Now I have a newer dutch oven with an enamel coating on it. Can I still do these recipes in regular stove?? And if so how long and what temp??thanks

• Deborah says:

Kim,

I’m guessing you could make this in the regular oven, but since I haven’t tried it that way, I’m not sure how long you would bake it for. I’d maybe try it at 350F, and start checking it at about 30 minutes. But since I have only tried it outdoors, I’m not quite sure!!